Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Warm and fuzzy winter hat with swirly

It started out as a pattern for a toddler sized ear flap hat.....

Honestly, it did! But, it ended up being a me sized hat. So, you know, adult and stuff.

I started out with some Bernat yarn in a nice variegated brown and an "I" hook. Unfortunately, I threw away the label, and I think the color or line has been discontinued, but the Red Heart Soft line is similar, and the second yarn I used was Red Heart Soft in Guacamole.



So, you need two yarns. Your main color, and your stripe color.
An "I" crochet hook
Blunt needle for weaving in ends and attaching the swirly.

Don't forget, if you need to look up the abbreviations, check here: http://www.needlecraftuniversity.com/libcrochet.htm

Start with a magic circle, make 6 sts into the circle. Pull it tight and sl st to the first st

  • r1) Ch 1. 2sc ea st around (12 sts) sl st tog & ch1
  • r2) 2sc ea st around (24 sts) sl st tog & ch1
  • r3) sc ea sc around (24 sts) sl st tog & ch 1
  • r4) 2sc ea st around (48 sts) sl st tog & ch 1
  • r5-8) sc ea st around (48 sts) sl st tog & ch 1
  • r9) sc in same spot, [1sc, 2sc] around (72 sts) sl st tog & ch 1
  • r10) sc ea sc around (72 sts) sl st tog & ch 1
  • r11-21 sc in spiral
  • r22) switch colors. Sc ea sc around, sl st & ch 1 (72 sts)
     You can carry the first color along the seam if you don't want to cut it, that's what I did.
  • r23-25) sc ea sc around in spiral. remember to carry your first yarn along the seam if you didn't cut it in the last step
  • r26) switch back to first color. Sc ea sc (72 sts) sl st tog & ch 1
  • r27-33) sc ea sc in spiral. At the end of r33, sl st to the first st of the row and finish off
  • Weave in all ends.
The spiral embellishment is a pattern I got from another blog called ZoomYummy
I adore her patterns! So simple to read, and easy to do. 

So there you have it, a nice, warm, fuzzy hat for winter. I can attest to the fact that it's super warm, and blocks a fair amount of wind.


No comments:

Post a Comment