Monday, October 1, 2012

Tunisian stitch washcloths

I learned this stitch called the Tunisian or Afghan stitch. I rather like it for making washcloths. They are thick, knobby on one side and smooth on the other.

My babysitter wants me to make a bunch of them for her to give as gifts.


I was told by a coworker who knits that his mother used to do a knit stitch that ended up looking like this in a solid color, then cross stitching a design over top. Sounds like that could be pretty. I may try to do that at some point for a decorative piece, or perhaps a pot holder (extra thickness you know).

These wash cloths were done with an afghan hook using 30sts across x 27-30sts long. The yellow and red one is larger than the pink and white one. Also, I block them by getting them soaking wet in hot water then hanging them to dry.

I used Lily Cotton Sugar and Cream yarn. The edges on the pink one are single crochet, the red and yellow one are crab stitch (reverse single crochet).

No comments:

Post a Comment